Thursday, November 18, 2010

Facing, Interfacing, and Finishing Edges - Oh My!

Wow, today has been a tough, but educational day at the sewing machine. I am working on my second dress. For this second dress, I will be using the pattern shown in the previous post,Simplicity's It's So Easy: It's Simplicity pattern no. W2688. So far, I have made the bodice and skirt and attached them. I also attached on the zipper. Following the pattern instructions, attached the facing and interfacing. I'll tell you, as a beginner sewer, attaching facing has been a battle royale. I attached it. It didn't fold right, so I ripped the seams to start again. I had to refer back to the Threads' Teach Yourself to Sew Tutorials, which has helped me tremendously.

My next objective is to practice control when finishing edges with zig-zag stitches. I start out straight, then lose control over the stitch. The fabric keeps moving closer and closer towards the edge. So, in more depth, my next post will be discussing my adventures in finishing edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment