Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dale Chihuly - The Evolution of Glass

I have many interests. However, my biggest interest is art in it's many forms. Aside from the internet, my favorite place to get my fix for Art is PBS's Create channel (Digital Channel 27.3 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana). One night when I watching flipping through channels, I went directly to my favorite - LPB 27.3. My eyes were transfixed as they beheld the most beautiful glad sculptures that I'd ever seen in my life. I watched anxiously as I was waiting on someone to say the name of the artist. The artist himself was there, but the tone of the documentary was relaxed, so it was all natural. Finally, the artist's name was revealed - Dale Chihuly. I'd never seen such abstract, lush, and vibrate sculptures. Its was an illumination of the visual senses. His artworks are pure ecstasy. A few of my favorite pieces are:

Translucent Emerald Putti Venetian, 1993
Image Source:Chihuly.com


Deep Ocean Green Piccolo Venetian, 1998
Image Source:Chihuly.com


Pink and Opal Seaform,1982
Image Source:Chihuly.com



Sky Blue Basket Set with Cobalt Lip Wraps, 1992
Image Source:Chihuly.com



Guilded Emerald Sealife with Putti Blowfish,2002
Image Source:Chihuly.com



Pair of Golden Polyps on Guilded Black Base, 1998
Image Source:Chihuly.com



His works are are delicate, elegant and busting with color - I love it. His artwork is a total treat for the senses. To learn more about Chihuly, I beg you to visit his website, Chihuly.com. Also, the wonderful documentary that I watch was called Chihuly in the Hotshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment